Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Weekend Weho Roundup... On a Tuesday

Island time (and a wicked hangover) got the better of me ... so sorry. But I'm here now so let's get this going!

This weekend I spent only a little time in Weho, surprisingly. It's not that I went far, just enough out of the way to have felt like I wasn't "in town" that much.

Vroom, vroom.
A couple of weekends ago, my boyfriend got a gorgeous new toy - a convertible BMW 335is. It's seriously a sweet little beauty. Only time will tell whether or not we'll be living out of it in a few months; holla! Anyway, on Saturday we took it up the coast to take in some views of the surf on account of the high wind advisory.

We headed back to Weho on the 101 through the Valley and stopped at Yamato, the whole  chef a la Benihana shebang routine. Maybe I was having way too much fun, but to the left of us, there was this grandmother and granddaughter were out to lunch together. Both were on their smartphones the entire time, didn't say one word to each other (okay, maybe no more than twenty). Personally, I was surprised at the grandmother being so engrossed in her screen, but on the outside looking in, it was disconcerting to feel that, to some, that is what quality time has become. 

Am I wrong? Presumptuous? You can tell me. I am aware that the smartphone has changed the way people communicate but this was a bit too much to take in, in my opinion, knowing that not everyone is that bad of an offender.

Sunday, I met with friends for lunch at Magnolia in Hollywood, as part of the presently ongoing dineLA experience. The food was great, but service... horrendous doesn't even begin scratch the surface. Long story short: after waiting 20 minutes for drinks, and another 30 minutes for food (after making both orders at the same time and the restaurant being far from packed), I felt strongly compelled to write a Yelp review. Although they were very gracious to comp two bottles of champagne (a truthfully good move), I'd've almost paid full price to have had the satisfaction of expressing zero desire to return. Zero. You know that stuff wouldn't fly at Cafe D'Etoile.

Then, I decided last minute to extend last weekend's birthday weekend, and got pretty hammered at Micky's, dun dun dun. And behold, the unintended seven-hour brunch.

Weho is getting ready for the upcoming Super Bowl Sunday - which means having gotten charged up about the Tom Brady DeflateGate scandal and this awesomely hilarious cut video re: [foot]balls, which totally made my life. But that's about it.

Thanks for hanging out; I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment