Monday, January 12, 2015

Weekend Weho Roundup

This weekend was fabulous. Very busy, but fabulous. It's kind of funny how two days seems like an eternity during the week, but on the weekend it might as well be a hot second.

I laid low on Friday night, partly on account of everyone and their mother having some variation of the cold. On Saturday, however, I felt good enough to head out into the wild, and headed to the Valley to have lunch with my folks and younger brother. My family and I were really close during our younger years but have grown in different directions, which is fine so long as you keep in touch. And the older I've gotten, I've realized that there's nothing like having enough pause in a routine to enjoy time with the people closest to you. Thankfully that was the trend through Sunday night.

Socially, my weekend was as follows:
Drinks and small bites at State Social House (a little price-y but not ridiculous, considering its placement at the peak of the Sunset strip), brunch at Marco's (bottomless mimosas for $12 in huge, huge glasses), dinner and drinks at Echi Sushi (beer and sake on the relative cheap with delicious and imaginative dishes)... Surrounded by friends and conversation, getting a little more tipsy than planned, but feeling good all around. Monetarily, however, it was definitely one of those weekends where - as much as I prefer to be out and about - I will be super thankful to eat at home a few nights this week!

I mentioned before how much I love the absolute diversity here - from background, to social scene, to all around interests and industries, this is about as melting pot as it gets. There is is almost always some link to relate to, to find similarities within differences. However, no one place is perfect, and sometimes it can feel like one's presence is a novelty rather than belonging there without question. Sometimes, definitely not always. To an extent I dislike having the need to interject that I was the only black female present at many of the places I hung out this weekend (with the exception of a gorgeous LA Weekly promoter who surprised our table with free Coronas while at State Social House. Yeah, Coronas, and what?). At the same time, I don't, because maybe a little variety is in order. I'm of the belief that our city's flag is rainbow-colored for more reasons than one.

Anyway, I've decided this week I'm going to wear my hair "out"... Usually I wear it up in a slick ponytail but I let it out all weekend and will continue the trend, having bought some decadent curl pudding on Friday. Next post: I will talk about my experiences with said pudding among other things while figuring out my hair; never a dull moment! Also, I will share a weeknight-in recipe, and maybe some meal prep ideas for on-the-go Paleo snacks (Paleo having become much more to me than a no carb diet du jour -- veggies/fruits are carbs, people).

What did you do this weekend? It was a bit inclement so maybe a staycation was in order? Let me know in the comments.

Thanks for visiting, and don't forget check me out on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment